City of Goldsboro FAQ’s

Here you will find answers to many of the questions you may  have.  You may read through all of the FAQ’s or you can narrow it down by Category.

Still Need Help?

You can check our “Whom to Contact” page
or call 919-580-4362

How long is my city permit valid for?2023-03-10T13:31:06-05:00

All permits expire on June 30th every year and must be renewed annually.  A copy of the permit shall be on the golf cart at all times when it is used on city streets.  Please fill out the complete application form to request a new permit.

Does my golf cart need lights and safety equipment?2019-10-01T12:07:37-04:00

Yes.  A rear view mirror and plainly visible rear reflectors are required.  Golf carts with two operating headlights and two operating taillights may be operated at any time, while those without any such lights shall only operate during daylight hours. 

Can I operate a golf cart on all city streets?2019-10-01T12:07:19-04:00

No.  Golf carts are only permitted on city streets with a posted speed limit of 25 MPH or less.  An operator is allowed to cross over a city street that has a posted speed limit of 35 MPH in order to get to a city street with a posted speed limit of 25 MPH.

Do I need insurance on my golf cart to operate it on a city street?2019-10-01T12:07:02-04:00

Yes.  Liability insurance is required and proof of coverage is necessary before the application is approved.

Do you have to possess a valid driver license to operate a golf cart?2019-10-01T12:06:43-04:00

Yes. Approved operators must carry their driver license on their person while operating on city streets.

How old do you have to be to operate a golf cart?2019-10-01T12:04:59-04:00

18 years of age or older.

Where can I purchase City compost?2015-08-26T10:27:09-04:00

Landscape Design (bulk)
Casey’s Garden Center (bulk and bagged)
Waltham Gardens (bulk)
Long’s Plant Farm (bagged only)

What is Goldsboro doing about the amount of nitrogen it is discharging to the nutrient sensitive Neuse River?2015-10-06T09:33:38-04:00

Since 1995, the City of Goldsboro has reduced its total discharge of nitrogen to the Neuse River by 76.6% in an effort to reduce nutrients going into the river. Click here for more info.

Who do I contact about broken water or sewer lines?2015-08-26T10:26:48-04:00

Call the General Services Department at 919-734-8674.

Who should I contact about taste and odor in my water or to have my water tested?2015-08-26T10:26:32-04:00

Call the Water Plant Superintendent at 919-734-3757.

Who do I contact to buy a burial lot or about a funeral?2015-08-26T10:26:05-04:00

Contact Tim Irving, the Cemetery Supervisor at 919-735-1065 or 919-750-2203 or by E-mail. He handles sales of burial lots, coordinating with funeral homes for funerals and burial services.

How much does a burial lot cost?2015-08-26T10:26:00-04:00

$300 – residents who reside in the city limits
$600 – those who live outside the city limits
+ addt’l costs for opening/closing graves (funeral services).
Click here for complete pricing list.

How do I get an overgrown lot mowed and a junked vehicle moved?2015-08-26T10:19:54-04:00

The Planning Department has environmental code enforcement  officers with the responsibility of keeping the city clean, abandoned vehicles towed, keeping overgrown lots mowed and issuing fines when needed for property owners negligence in the appearance of their property.

  • George Wohlgemuth  –  (919) 580-4312
  • Kelly Best  –  (919) 580-4313
What do I do with discarded furniture and appliances?2021-04-29T15:23:45-04:00

Worn out furniture, refrigerators, mattresses, box springs, stoves, water heaters etc. will be collected every week at no cost to city residents. Residents may schedule a pick up by calling the solid waste, 919-734-8674.

What if I am physically unable to roll either container to the curb?2017-10-05T17:12:00-04:00

All persons living alone that can provide physician’s certification of handicap will not be required to roll either container to the curb.

Do I have to participate in the recycling program?2015-08-26T10:17:12-04:00

The City of Goldsboro has a mandatory recycling program. If your recycling container is not at the curb at lease once per month, you will be assessed $ 25.00 on your utility bill.

What is accepted for recycling?2018-08-07T09:38:10-04:00
  1. Plastic – The only acceptable plastics are: PET #1 (plastic drink bottles) and HDPE #2 (milk jugs, juice bottles, detergent bottles). Look for a triangular recycle symbol with a number 1 or 2 in it to be sure.
  2. Paper – newspaper, junk mailers, phone books, magazines, catalogs
  3. Aluminum beverage cans – soda cans, beer cans (quick rinse)
  4. Steel cans – soup, vegetable, pet food cans (quick rinse)
  5. Cardboard – corrugated boxes, cereal boxes (flattened)

Please do not bag your recyclables and empty out food and liquids.

When should I have my roll out container at the curb?2015-08-26T10:16:34-04:00

Collection begins at 6:00 a.m. during daylight savings time and 6:30 a.m. during Eastern Standard Time. Residents should have their containers at the curb the night before their collection day.

When will my refuse, recycling and vegetative yard debris be collected?2015-08-26T10:16:00-04:00

Your scheduled collection day will occur once per week for refuse and once every other week for recyclables and vegetative yard debris. Vegetative yard debris is collected on your recycling day.

Who do I contact about a water leak or a sanitary sewer blockage?2017-10-05T17:12:00-04:00

Notify the Public Works Department, 919-734-8674 or the Utility Maintenance Division, 919-739-7423 to report water and sewer problems between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The Utility Maintenance Division has personnel on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If problems with water or sanitary sewer are experienced during off duty hours or Holidays contact the Goldsboro Police Department non-emergency number, 919-705-6572 and personnel will be dispatched to address the problem.

How do I get a sidewalk repaired?2015-08-26T10:15:23-04:00

The General Services Department repairs all City sidewalks. Call 919-734-8674 and someone will inspect the sidewalk and schedule needed repairs.

How do I get a roadside ditch piped?2015-08-26T10:15:14-04:00

The City has a ditch-piping program where the resident pays for the pipe and the city will install it. For more information contact the City Engineering Department, 919-580-4342.

The catch basin on my street is clogged and does not drain water from the street,what do I do?2015-08-26T10:14:58-04:00

Call the Storm Sewer Maintenance Division, 919-739-7419 or 919-734-8674.

How often are streets swept?2015-08-26T10:13:39-04:00

City Streets with curbs are swept 4 times per year.

Who should I call about a pothole or a dip in the street?2017-10-05T17:12:00-04:00

Call the Street maintenance division, 919-739-7415 or 919-734-8674. The Street Maintenance division personnel will repair any pothole reported, usually within a 24-hour period.

Who do I contact if a traffic signal is flashing or appears to be malfunctioning on the weekend or a holiday?2015-08-26T10:13:16-04:00

The Building and Traffic Division employees are on call 7 days a week, 24 hours per day. If you need to report a traffic signal malfunction on week-ends, holidays or after working hours contact the City of Goldsboro Police Department

Who do I contact about a bulb blown in a traffic signal?2015-08-26T10:13:05-04:00

The Building and Traffic Division will immediately replace blown traffic signal bulbs by calling 919-739-7428 or 919-734- 8674 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm.

Who should I call about discolored water?2015-08-26T10:11:06-04:00

Call the Meter Shop at (919) 734-8674.

What are possible causes of a high water bill?2015-08-26T10:09:45-04:00

Dripping or leaking faucets inside or outside of the residence may cause a high reading. Long running toilets will also cause water consumption to increase. Broken or burst water lines will increase water consumption. If there is no indication of these situations please call 919-580-4340 to request a re-read of your water meter.

How do I transfer or terminate my water service account?2017-10-05T17:12:00-04:00

To transfer your service from one location to another, you must apply in person to the Revenue Division at 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. A $10.00 transfer fee and a possible deposit update must be paid prior to the account transfer. Account terminations may be handled by telephone by calling 919-580-4340. You must show your new lease and a picture ID to transfer service. You may have up to 2 weeks to move in and out of each location.

Where and how do I pay my water bill?2022-08-12T08:32:19-04:00

You may mail your check and payment stub to, PO Box 88, Goldsboro, NC 27533, or you may pay in person at the Revenue Division, located at 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. A drop box is located outside the front door of the City Hall Annex for your convenience. The City also offers the added convenience of bank drafting. Please call 919-580-4340 for information regarding bank draft signup.

How do I establish a new business water service account?2015-08-26T10:08:39-04:00

New business accounts begin by visiting our Inspections Division at 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. Businesses must receive a certificate of occupancy from the Inspections Division prior to applying for water service and a business license. Deposits begin at $50.00 and are dependent on the prior consumption at the given location. Federal identification numbers, local telephone numbers and correct billing addresses are required. If the water application is received prior to 2:00 p.m., we try to offer next day service.

How do I establish a new residential water service account?2017-10-05T17:12:00-04:00

New residential accounts are established in person at the Revenue Division, 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. You will need a driver’s license or other picture identification and printed proof of a social security number. We also require a copy of a lease agreement or a current rent receipt with your name and address. You will be required to pay a $100.00 deposit at the time of application. If the application is received prior to 2 :00 p.m., we try to offer next day service. If you have an outstanding water bill, you must pay this and a $75 water deposit.