Water Bill FAQ’s

Photo of City Hall Lobby

Hours: 8am – 5pm

Phone: (919) 580-4340

Fax: (919) 580-4205

  • The Water Department is where you pay your utility bill, miscellaneous bill, business license bill, assessment statements, parking tickets, and other assessed fees.
  • The Water Department is located in the City Hall Addition, past the Information Desk and to the right, around the corner. Please check in with the Receptionist at the Front Desk before proceeding to the Water Department.

image2New residential accounts are established in person at the Water Department, 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. You will need a driver’s license or other picture identification and printed proof of a social security number. We also require a copy of a lease agreement. You will be required to pay a $100.00 deposit at the time of application. When your application has been processed, your water account will be activated by the next business day. If you have an outstanding water bill, you must pay this and a $100 water deposit.

New business accounts begin by visiting our Inspections Division at 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. Businesses must receive a certificate of occupancy from the Inspections Division prior to applying for water service and a business license. Deposits begin at $100.00 and are dependent on the prior consumption at the given location. Federal identification numbers, local telephone numbers and correct billing addresses are required.

You may mail your check and payment stub to PO Box 88, Goldsboro, NC 27533 or you may pay in person at the Water Department, located at 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. A drop box is located outside the front door of the City Hall Addition for your convenience. The City also offers the added convenience of bank drafting. Please call 919-580-4340 for information regarding bank draft signup. The City accepts credit and debit cards in person or online. Mastercard, Visa and Discover are accepted.

We do not accept payments over the phone.

To transfer your service from one location to another, you must apply in person to the Revenue Division at 200 North Center Street, City Hall Addition. A $10.00 transfer fee and a possible deposit update must be paid prior to the account transfer. Account terminations may be handled by telephone by calling 919-580-4340. You must show your new lease and a picture ID to transfer service. You may have up to 2 weeks to move in and out of each location
Dripping or leaking faucets inside or outside of the residence may cause a high reading. Long running toilets will also cause water consumption to increase. Broken or burst water lines will increase water consumption. If there is no indication of these situations please call 919-580-4340 to request a re-read of your water meter.

Several community organizations have assistance available for those who are having difficulties paying their water bills. Click here for a list of resources.

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program is a temporary emergency program that will help eligible households and families afford water and wastewater services, providing a one-time payment for eligible low-income households paid directly to the utility company. LIHWAP runs through September 2023 or until the funds are exhausted. Click here for more information.


New Customer Service Form
Preauthorized Bill Payments Form
Bank Draft Authorization Form
Water Sewer Rates

Pay Water Bill Online