Solid Waste FAQ’s
- Plastic – The only acceptable plastics are: PET #1 (plastic drink bottles) and HDPE #2 (milk jugs, juice bottles, detergent bottles). Look for a triangular recycle symbol with a number 1 or 2 in it to be sure.
- Paper – newspaper, junk mailers, phone books, magazines, catalogs
- Aluminum beverage cans – soda cans, beer cans (quick rinse)
- Steel cans – soup, vegetable, pet food cans (quick rinse)
- Cardboard – corrugated boxes, cereal boxes (flattened)
Please do not bag your recyclables and empty out food and liquids.
The new program uses more efficient vehicles but also optimizes the routes within the City. The City hired a consultant to look at all the routes and balance them so each crew would spend a similar amount of time in the field. Don’t PANIC though! We instructed the consultant to make an effort to keep the pickup days the same and due to that only about 5% of the pickup days have changed. We have also created an address lookup form where you can type in your address and it will tell you what day your pickup will be.
The commercial 4, 6, and 8 cubic yard dumpster service is not affected by this new program. The commercial rollout containers (same bins as residential customers) will be required to follow the new rules beginning June 1st.
The Solid Waste division prides itself on customer service. For these one-time type events, please just give us a call and we’ll make special arrangements.