Safety and Training
The Safety and Training Program provides guidance and assistance to all departments within the City to ensure the safety of all employees and general public who work in/around or visit our facilities.
Safety is our number one priority. We are focused on providing a safe working environment for all personnel in every aspect of the workplace. We believe all accidents can be prevented and safety is an integral part of everyone’s job.
Employees are encouraged to report any unsafe work practices or safety hazards encountered on the job. All accidents or incidents (no matter how slight) are to be immediately reported to the supervisor on duty. A key factor in implementing the city’s Safety policy will be strict compliance to all applicable federal, state, local and work procedures. Failure to comply with these policies may result in disciplinary actions. NO EMPLOYEE IS EVER REQUIRED to perform work that he or she believes is unsafe or that he or she thinks is likely to cause injury or a health risk to themselves or others. Please contact the Safety Coordinator with any concerns regarding workplace safety.
We are an active member of the North Carolina Association of Local Government Safety Officials (NCALGSO) and take advantage of professional consultative services, professional development, and other briefings from this agency.
The annual Safety Awards Luncheon was held at the Lane Tree Country Club on May 9, 2018. NC Labor Commissioner, Cherie Berry, was the guest speaker. The City won a total of 20 awards. They are as follows:
- 1st Year – Compost Facility
- 1st Year – Fire Station # 3, Fire Station#5, Parks & Recreation Department/ Maintenance Division, Streets & Storm Division, Utility Maintenance Division Distribution & Collections
- 2nd Year – Fire Station # 4, Information Technology
- 3rd Year – Parks & Recreation – Herman Park Center, Public Works Department/Building & Traffic Division
- 4th Year – Fire Station # 2
- 5th Year – Finance Department, Planning Division
- 6th Year – General Government, Inspection Department
- 7th Year – Human Resources Department
- 8th Year – Water Reclamation Facility
- 9th Year – Cemetery Division, Engineering Division
- 14th Year – Garage Division
We are proud of all of our departments for maintaining a safe and productive work environment.