The City is updating the Goldsboro Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), the policy guide that governs our zoning and subdivision regulations.
Most of the proposed amendments are required by recent state legislative changes to local government planning and development regulation – also known as Chapter 160D. Additional updates to the UDO the City’s ordinance were also proposed in an effort to align the City’s existing code with best practices. On May 17, 2021, A Public Hearing will be held regarding the Update with Planning Commission making a recommendation for adoption at their meeting scheduled May 24, 2021. City Council will take final action at their meeting scheduled June 7, 2021.
160D REQUIRED CHANGES
A few significant changes with the 160D regulations, and reflected in Article 2 – Approvals, include the following.
- Site plans and Subdivisions/Plats will be reviewed at Administrative Level. Site plans (regardless size and no more than 20% modification in parking and landscaping requirements) and Subdivisions will no longer go to the City Council for final approval. This will save a substantial amount of time.
- Rezonings will be a legislative hearing process. Conditional and Conventional Rezoning and Ordinance Amendments will require a public hearing and will be legislative hearing process. Conditional Rezonings will require a conceptual master plan.
- Conditional Use Permits will become Special Use Permits and will be a Quasi-judicial hearing process. Special Use Permits will be tiered with minor permits (S1) requiring Board of Adjustment approval and major permits (S2) requiring City Council approval. Variances/Modifications in excess of 20% will require Board of Adjustment review/approval.
Ordinance changes not directly reflected by 160D include:
- Article 5 – Zoning, as it relates to table of permitted uses, supplemental use regulations, and Historic Preservation Overlay District.
- Article 6 – Supplemental Design Standards, as it relates to parking standards.
- Article 8 – Administrative Agencies, to ensure all Boards and Commissions reflect the recent updates of the City’s Code of Ordinances Chapter 32.
- Article 9 – Definitions, to reflect changes and update terminology used within the ordinance.
The DRAFT COPY of the ordinance amendment changes is listed below in full.
Draft UPO Update