City Accepting Applications for District 6 City Council Seat
The City of Goldsboro operates under a council-manager form of government. The Goldsboro City Council establishes the City’s policies and appoints the City Manager, who oversees day-to-day city operations and executes Council-established laws and policies.
The Goldsboro City Council is soliciting individuals who are interested in filling the vacant Councilmember seat for District 6, which occurred as a result of Gene Aycock’s resignation effective June 30, 2022. The selected individual will serve for the remainder of the term, until the winner of the November 7, 2023, election is sworn in. In accordance with the City Charter and the laws of North Carolina, to be eligible to fill this vacancy, an individual must:
- Be a qualified voter in the City of Goldsboro.
- Be at least 21 years of age and not adjudged a felon not having had their rights restored.
- Currently live within the boundaries of District 6 and have done so for at least the past thirty (30) days.
Interested citizens meeting these requirements can pick up the application form from the City Hall Addition, 200 N. Center Street, Goldsboro, NC or print the application from the City of Goldsboro’s website at www.goldsboronc.gov. Any potential applicant is encouraged to check the District 6 boundaries while at City Hall to make sure they reside within District 6 before submitting an application. Prospective applicants can also confirm their residency in one of the following ways:
- Visit https://www.goldsboronc.gov/mayor-of-goldsboro/meet-the-city-council/ and search for their address in the “Find My Councilmember” box at the top of the page or ask the Chatbot at the bottom right of the page.
- Text “What district am I in” to 919-580-4299 and provide the address when prompted.
- Call the Clerk’s Office at 919-580-4330.
Completed applications must be returned to the City Clerk’s office by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 7, 2022. Applications not received by that date will not be considered (placing it in the mail by then does not constitute receipt by the City unless it is in the physical custody of the staff of the office of the City Clerk, located within the Mayor and City Manager office, 2nd floor, by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 7, 2022).
The Mayor and City Council at the regular City Council meeting scheduled for July 11, 2022, will hear presentations by each qualified applicant. Each applicant will be given up to ten (10) minutes to make a presentation on their qualifications for the office and their vision for Goldsboro. At the regular meeting on August 1, 2022, the City Council will decide if they have enough information to vote on the appointment by motion, second, and majority vote.
Please visit the City’s webpage at www.goldsboronc.gov or contact the City Clerk’s Office at 919-580-4330 for more information.